Thinking about what to say to a guy you like can be super nerve-wracking. In this post, we’ll give you some juicy tips on how to start a conversation with a guy!
How do you start a conversation with a guy examples and tips
Starting a conversation with a guy may seem super scary and intimidating, but it’s actually not as difficult as it seems! Here are some examples and tips to help you out : )
Related post: 9 Texts To Get Him Chasing You And Fall In Love Immediately
1. Use a horrible & hilarious pickup line
Taylor Johnson – Relationship Coach for Men says
Here’s a secret: most guys actually wish women would approach them. It happens so rarely, that it really doesn’t matter what you say. You could talk about ketchup, the weather, or you could even use a horrible pickup line as a joke.
In fact, that’s what I’d recommend. Walk up to us and say the most hilarious and horrible pickup line you can find.
And then? Be authentic. Say “hey I’d like to get to know you.” And then follow that up immediately with an invitation like: “want to go on a walk?.” It’s a rare day we’re approached that way, or at all, and it would truly be a treat to receive.”
2. Create an opening based on something unique
Megan Sherer – Relationship Coach says
The easiest way to start a conversation with a guy is to create an opening, ideally based on something unique that you perceive about him or that the two of you might have in common. Maybe you like his shoes and you’re a total sneaker-head, so you ask where he got them. Or in line at a coffee shop, you ask if he’s tried that one drink or pastry before and get his advice.
Find something that the two of you can connect over, and use that to open the door to a conversation. How he responds will tell you a lot about whether he is someone you want to continue getting to know or not. More than likely, he will be so grateful you took the pressure off him by deciding to make the first move!
Related post: 12 Signs He Wants You To Be His Girlfriend Soon
3. Trigger his hero instinct
This is my all-time favorite advice and it seems to always work for me ; )
Trigger his hero instinct by asking him for help! Men are hardwired to respond to situations where they can be of service, and this desire is known as the “hero instinct.” By asking him for help, you’ll trigger his heroic impulses and give him an opportunity to step up and take charge.
This doesn’t mean that you should ask him to fix your car or move your furniture; instead, try asking for his opinion on something or getting his advice on a problem you’re facing. Not only will this give you an opportunity to start a conversation, but it’ll also make him feel good about himself.
Who knows, he may even ask you out for coffee afterward!
4. Hit them with a dramatic opening!
Jenny – relationship expert at WooPlus says:
A good dramatic opening is a good way to save you from awkwardness. So when you decide to start a conversation with a guy and have no idea how to move forward, you can try to say something like ” Guess, what I saw today?” and it may arouse his curiosity and keep your conversation going further. Or just say “you won’t believe what happened today” and you will immediately have their attention.
5. Ask ‘low-stakes’ questions
Leslie Grant – the host and producer of Interstates & Heartbreak says:
I used to fall back on a simple sentence when starting conversations with guys at bars – “What are you drinking?”
Not particularly groundbreaking or interesting, but an easy way to
- a) indicate that I was open to conversation
- b) discern his level of interest in a way that didn’t require me to wear my lustful feelings on my sleeve.
Those who were interested would take the opportunity to continue the conversations, often accompanied by a drink offer. This principle – asking a low-stakes question with the potential for further conversation – can be extrapolated outside of a bar setting.
For example: “How long have you been coming to this dog park?” “Have you taken this workout class before?” With the right smile and eye contact, you’ve suddenly struck up an organic conversation with the potential to NATURALLY evolve into flirty banter, vs. one person opening with an awkward (and potentially unwanted) advance.
Related post: 12 Tips On How To Tell If A Guy Is Interested In You Or Just Being Friendly
6. Don’t overanalyze and just go for it
Eric – CEO of Innerbody Research says:
It’s human nature to be super over-analytical and critical of ourselves. But, when it comes to knowing how to talk to a guy – the key is to stop overthinking too much.
This is a tricky one because your brain is going to visualize how the conversation could go whether you like it or not. However, stay focused on what you are trying to achieve. Your goal is to try to keep the interaction as natural as possible. You don’t want to over-analyze the conversation before, during, or after if you can help it – because this is going to build the stress and anxiety that you already feel.
That means you don’t need to memorize lines word-for-word. Sure, it helps to have an idea of what you want to say, but it’s impossible to know how the guy is going to respond. So don’t try to anticipate it too much.
7. Take him off the pedestal!
Mel Williams – relationship expert says:
Don’t psych yourself out over him being an attractive guy. Underneath all of that is a fellow human being who is hoping to be seen and understood for more than just his good looks. Get out of your comfort zone and get in the habit of talking to more of the people you actually want to talk to.
Too many women believe that the man should always approach first and that’s just limiting yourself to the guys who only approach you! Don’t make this mistake. Simply be a fun, engaging, and curious human being. Ask a genuine question or compliment him.
Related post: 21 Questions For A New Relationship To Get To Know Him
What should I text a guy to start a conversation?
If you want to text him, text him!! Life is too short to be shy, lol. Here are some cute and quirky texts to send him and start a conversation:
- Have you been to [insert place]? I’m thinking about going there [insert time] and want to get your thoughts on it.
- I saw this really funny meme today and I thought of you immediately.
- What are you up to today? I’m feeling a bit restless and could use some company.
- I was just thinking about you and wondering how you’re doing today.
- Are you a fan of [insert TV show, movie, band, etc.]? I’m thinking of seeing [insert related event] and would love to have someone to go with me.
- Have you ever tried [insert food or drink]? I’m thinking of making it/having it tonight.
- Do you like animals? I’m thinking of getting a pet soon and wanted to know if you’re allergic to anything….lol
- Tell me something super random!
- Knock knock …. (continue with your knock-knock joke if he responds)
- I had a super weird dream about you last night…
Related post: 25 Incredibly Stunning First Date Outfits Guys Love
What topic should I talk with a guy?
Finding things to talk about with a guy you like can be tough. After all, you want to impress him and keep him interested, but you don’t want to come across as being too forward or trying too hard. Instead of agonizing over what to say, try focusing on topics that are fun, quirky, and a little bit unexpected. For example, you could ask him:
- What’s your favorite comic book character?
- What are your thoughts on the best way to make a perfect grilled cheese sandwich?
- Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?
- When was the last time you embarrassed yourself so bad that you wanted to dig a hole in the ground and hide forever?
- What’s the worst song you’ve ever heard?
- Pineapple on pizza. Bop or Flop?
These sorts of topics will not only help you to get to know him better, but they’ll also give you a chance to show off your own personality. So go ahead and take the plunge – he’s sure to appreciate your effort.
Related post: 80+ Topics To Talk About With Your Crush Over Text
What is a good question to ask a guy?
There are sooooo many good questions you can ask a guy you like. Just be creative and have fun with it! Here are some examples you can steal:
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
- What is your all-time favorite meme?
- What is or was your favorite Disney Channel show? Why?
- If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Do you believe in the law of attraction? Why or why not?
- Would you rather visit the moon or mars?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- If you could trade places with anyone in the world, who would it be?
- Can a person be truly happy without love?
- What do you think the meaning of life is?
- Tell me something about yourself that I wouldn’t know just by looking at you.
- What TV show are you currently binge-watching?
How to start a conversation with a guy on the phone?
So you’ve got his number, and you’re ready to take the plunge into phone territory. But how do you start the conversation? If you’re feeling nervous, just remember that everyone feels awkward when they’re starting a new conversation. The key is to dive in and just go for it. Here are a few tips to make it less awkward:
- Be confident: Remember that you’re an interesting and attractive person, and the guy you’re talking to will be lucky to get to know you better! Approach the conversation with confidence to set the tone for an enjoyable chat!
- Have an idea of what to say beforehand: Having something prepared will help you feel more confident and allow the conversation to flow smoothly.
- Ask questions: one of the best ways to keep a conversation going is to ask questions. Not only will this show that you’re interested in learning more about the guy you’re talking to, but it’ll also give him a chance to share more about himself.
- Let the conversation flow: Phone conversations are all about back-and-forth communication. So if he asks you a question, make sure to answer it before asking one of your own. Don’t make it seem like an interview where you’re bombarding him with a bunch of questions, lol!
Related post: 40 Surprising Signs Your Male Friend Has Feelings For You
Now go and start a conversation with your dream guy!
Life is way too short for us to take it so seriously. If you’ve been dying to talk to a guy you like, just go and do it! We’re not going to live forever. Now go and have fun! And don’t forget how freaking beautiful and gorgeous you are ; ) He’ll be so stoked to talk to you.